Key Research Questions
Fundamental Neuroscience Unknowns
- What is the mechanism of anesthesia?
- What is consciousness?
- What is sleep?
- What is pain?
- What is the trigger between acute and chronic pain?
- Fundamental mechanisms of drug action during anesthesia/surgery
- How do we safely anesthetize kids?
- How do we safely anesthetize adults?
- What are the long-term effects of surgery?
- What is the mechanism underlying perioperative cognitive dysfunction?
- What are the mechanisms and interventions possible for postoperative delirium?
- Can specific anesthesia techniques influence (positive influence or protect from) long-term sequelae of surgery?
Immune and Metabolic Consequences of Trauma, Surgery and Critical Care
- What is the role of mitochondrial dysfunction in perioperative outcomes?
- What is the best way to control/manage robust inflammatory response to surgery?
- What non-traditional adjuvants (botox/acupuncture/non-opioids) are effective and should be included in practice?
- What are the mechanisms underlying organ dysfunction in trauma/burn and intervention targets?
- What are key mechanisms for prevention/treatment of sepsis?
- What is the best way to monitor brain function in an anesthetized patient?
- What are the long-term risks to having surgery and anesthesia (early CAD)?
- What is on the horizon for coagulation biology and where would this be helpful in the OR?
- What is the best strategy for perioperative transfusions?
- What is the best way to assess adequate perfusion during anesthesia?
- What are new ways of understanding fluid biology during surgery? (e.g. does “third space” really exist under stress of surgery with infusion therapy?)
Best Use of Systems-Based Practice to Enhance Patient Safety & Quality
- How can anesthesia revolutionize rapid response teams to enhance patient safety?
- What system changes need to be made to appropriately include postoperative analgesia with intraoperative anesthesia (regional/general combo efficiency)?
- What practices in the OR truly affect ICU course, positive or negative?
- What is the role of regional anesthesia (risks/benefits) in OR anesthesia and postoperative pain management?
- How do we enhance perioperative patient safety?
- Do we have the best preoperative risk assessment?
- What is the safest way to manage out of OR sedation?
- How do we risk assess patients for non-CAD illnesses (thrombosis, SIRS, etc)?
- How can we most effectively translate knowledge/science to evidence-based anesthesia practice?
- What health disparities exist in anesthesia and how can we overcome such barriers in patient care?
- What is the best way to assess patient outcome after surgery/anesthesia?
- What are the best, and most innovative, ways of educating MD anesthesiologists for future practice in the world of health care teams?
The IARS contributes more than $1 million each year to fund important anesthesia research. Your donation will help support innovative and forward-thinking anesthesia research and education initiatives, all of which are designed to benefit patient care. You can feel good knowing that 100% of your donation is directly allocated to research.